CAT ExamCommon Admission Test

Introduction - CAT

CAT (Common Admission Test) is one of the best entrance exam for almost all aspiring students looking forward for MBA, PGDM and other Post Graduate Level Management Courses is CAT. CAT 2018-19 scheduled exam date is 25th November, 2018. CAT is the only entrance exam for admission in MBA and PGDM programs in IIMs in India.

CAT Exam has always been a tough gamble and has always given surprises to all its aspirants. There have been multiple variations in CAT Exam pattern over the years including number of questions and duration. However, it is expected that modification in the difficulty level might be seen.

Exam Highlights: CAT 2018-19

Conducting AuthorityIndian Institute of Management Calcutta (IIM Calcutta)
Exam TypeNational Level
Mode of ExamOnline
PeriodicityOnce in a year
Score / Percentile ValidityOne Year
Eligibility CriteriaGraduation with 50%
Exam Pattern3 Hours (1 hour for each section)
SyllabusQuantitative Aptitude, Data Interpretation, Data Sufficiency, Verbal Ability, Reading Comprehension, Logical Reasoning and Analytical Reasoning
Participating InstitutesIIMs, IITs, FMS, ISB and Other Management Institutes
Official Websiteiimcat.ac.in

Important Dates: CAT 2018-19

CAT 2018-19 Exam EventDates
Notification Release DateLast week of July 2018
Registration Commencement8th August, 2018
Last Date for Online Registration19th September, 2018
Issue of Admit Card24th October, 2018
CAT Exam Date25th November, 2018
Result AnnouncementJanuary 2019

Quick Recap - CAT

  • Admission into IIMs is based upon various factors: 10th Marks, 12th Marks, CAT Score Card, Group Discussion, Written Ability Test and Personal Interview round conducted at respective IIMs
  • The exam is open to all graduates with more than 50% marks in graduation
  • There is no bar on age and the number of attempts
  • Duration of the exam is 180 minutes and consists of 100 questions
  • 120+ management Institutes and 20 IIMs participate in this all India level examination
Careerdost App

Download Careerdost FREE Android App
Solved Papers, Govt. Jobs / Exams Notifications

Key points - CAT

  • After the exam, CAT Result will be announced in the second week of January 2019
  • Questions will be from 3 sections: Verbal Reasoning (34), Quantitative Ability (34) and Data Interpretation (32).
  • An estimate of 2 lakh+ candidates appears for this national level entrance test each year to secure one of the approx. 4,000 seats available in 20 IIMs

Expectations - CAT

Every CAT Exam comes with its own surprises. CAT 2018-19 will be no different. Here is what CAT Exam will have in store for you:

  • Sectional time limit fixed and can’t flip between sections. Candidates will be allotted exactly 60 minutes to attempt each section
  • Some questions in each section may not be of multiple choice type. Instead, direct answers will have to be typed on the screen
  • Use of basic onscreen calculator for computation will be provided
  • With an entry of more number of CAT test-takers, the testing window is expected to run for 2 days
  • In the year 2016, CAT was conducted in 136 cities and 140 cities in 2017. CAT 2018-19 is expected to be conducted in 145 cities
  • Around 70% – 75% of questions are multiple choice questions whereas the remaining 25%- 30% are subjective
  • Every correct answer will attract +3 marks and -1 mark will be deducted for each incorrect answer

Eligibility Criteria 2018-19

  • In order to be eligible for CAT Exam, an aspirant must be a graduate degree holder in any stream
  • Candidates appearing in the final year / semester of their degree program can also apply for CAT 2018-19
  • The percentage requirement for the exam is different for different categories. It is explained in the table below:
CategoryPercentage Required
General and OBC50%
Scheduled Caste45%
Scheduled Tribe45%
Persons with Disabilities45%

Syllabus 2018-19

CAT exam consists of 3 sections namely Verbal and Reading Comprehension, Data Interpretation, Logical Reasoning, and Quantitative Ability. Each section is further divided into multitude of topics. The topics covered in each section for CAT exam is detailed below:

TopicsSub-topics
Verbal and Reading ComprehensionVerbal reasoning, antonyms and synonyms, sentence correction, critical reasoning, fill in the blanks, syllogism, analogies, idioms
Data InterpretationArea graph, Line graph, Charts (Columns, Bar, Pie), Tables, Venn diagrams
Logical ReasoningClocks and calendars, Directions, Binary Logic, Coding-decoding, Blood relations, Linear and matrix arrangement, Syllogism
Quantitative AbilityNumber system, Geometry, Simple and Compound Interest, Profit and Loss, Quadratic & Linear Equation, Algebra, Permutation and Combination, Ratio & Proportion, Time & Work, Trigonometry

Aptitude & Logical Reasoning App

Download Aptitude & Logical Reasoning FREE Android App
Aptitude Test & Logical Reasoning Test

Exam Pattern: CAT 2018-19

CAT exam pattern is quite random in nature and almost every year it undergoes some changes which are not even notified before the exam. It is expected that IIM Lucknow may introduce some changes in CAT Exam Pattern but as per the notification, no change is introduced. Last year (CAT 2017), no change in exam pattern was observed. However, modification in the level of difficulty of the exam is expected.

  • CAT is a computer-based test which consists of three sections, i.e. Quantitative Ability, Verbal and Reading Comprehension, and Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning
  • It is a 3-hour duration exam, where one hour is assigned for each section
  • The paper will have 100 questions of both MCQ and Non-MCQ nature
  • Around 70% – 75% of questions are multiple choice questions whereas the remaining 25%- 30% are non-MCQs
  • For every correct answer, a candidate will be awarded +3 marks and -1 mark will be deducted for each incorrect answer

Note: Apart from CAT Score Card students are required to go through group discussion and personal interview round at respective colleges to get into MBA at IIMs or other Non-IIMs and Top Management Colleges. Marks in Graduation and 10+2 are also considered as metrics for admission. Various IIMs and other top B-schools in India use CAT scores/grades for Management admissions. Validity of CAT score card is 1 year i.e. candidates can apply only for current academic session.

Post CAT Entrance Exam, the qualified Candidates can use their CAT Score Card to apply for the selection process of various IIMs.

Exam Centers 2018-19

CAT 2018 will be conducted in exam centers spread across around 145 cities in India.

  • The time slot for CAT Examination is generally allocated randomly
  • Preferences for up to 4 test cities can be provided in the form and CAT Exam Centers will be allotted based on these preferences
  • Candidates are required to carry additional document i.e. a government-approved identification proof such as Pan Card, Voter ID, Aadhar Card etc. along with the admit card

Results 2018-19

  • CAT Result will be declared in the second week of January 2019
  • The result will be announced in the form of score card
  • Candidates can check their results on the official website of IIM CAT
  • The scorecard contains the sectional and overall score obtained by candidates in CAT Exam
  • Based on the number of participants and average percentile scored, IIMs determine their individual cutoff
  • On the basis of cut off, candidates will be called for Group Discussion and Personal Interview rounds

CutOffs 2018-19

Post the declaration of results each IIM will declare a separate cut off list for shortlisting candidates for the selection procedure. The overall cut off for the IIMs generally falls in the bracket of 90-99 percentile. The cut off comprises an overall cut off and a sectional cut off. Sectional cut off is the percentile score a candidate must score in each section to qualify the exam.

Contents

Introduction

CAT Exam Trends

Exam Highlights: CAT 2018-19

Important Dates: CAT 2018-19

Quick Recap - CAT

Key points - CAT

Expectations - CAT

Eligibility Criteria 2018-19

Syllabus 2018-19

Exam Pattern: CAT 2018-19

Exam Centers 2018-19

Results 2018-19

CutOffs 2018-19

Read more Blog Articles

Banking Interview Questions
What are some Banking Interview Questions?
Common Puzzle Questions
What are the common puzzles asked in an interview?
Do you have any questions for us?
What reply does the interviewer expect when he asks - "do you have any questions for us?"
Electronics Engineer's Interview
What kind of questions are asked in interviews for Electronics Engineer?
How to answer tell me about yourself in 30 sec or 1 min?
What criteria should I consider to answer the question tell me about yourself in 30 sec or 1 min?
How to Crack Civil Services - UPSC
Success Stories by Civil Services Toppers - Tina Dabi, Vivek Chauhan, Poonam Dalal, Sakshi Sawhney
Infographic on College Rankings in India (2017)
Top ranked Engineering, Management & Arts Indian College(s)
MBA (Finance) Campus Interviews
What questions are asked for MBA (finance) in campus interviews?
Questions to refrain from asking
Questions you should never ask an Interviewer
Some tips on how to Crack SBI PO Exam
Tips to crack SBI PO Preliminary Exam
Tips & Tricks for an Interview
What are some tips & tricks I should know before going to an Interview?
Trickiest Interview Questions
What are the trickiest questions asked in an interview?
Where do you see yourself in the next 5 years?
What are the best replies to the interview question - "Where do you see yourself in the next 5 years?"
Why should I hire you?
What are the best answers for why should I hire you?
Read more
Read more tips and tricks articles on interviewing